Monday, May 23, 2016

Tommy and Jimmy Were Friends

I remember my first memories of the Hale Family Reunions.
Tommy and Jimmy were always in the way of the older cousins.
We were pals; ignored by 'em all.

I remember running between Grandpa's and Uncle Des' homes. There was food and drink everywhere and the adults were around the dinner table arguing politics, religion and war. 

I remember Tommy Quinn; cousin and friend.
He was older and wiser; never lordly, and always good to me. He seemed to be a favorite of my father; easy to have around.

I remember one trip between Mason City and Madelia. We were in the back seat of our 49 Ford Coupe; giggling while laying a trail of Dad's cigarettes all the way from here to there.

I remember Tommy and Jane playing tennis with Dad; the laughter was loud and the competition was keen. Dad loved these two young marrieds ; Jane was a special girl in our lives.

I remember Olio Margarine stored in the cooler in Hale's Super Market ... kneaded with yellow dye packets ... special contraband from trips to Iowa ... colored olio was unlawful in Minnesota!

I remember spending many an evening playing cards and board games in Tommy 'n Jane's Madelia homes ... we had a ball .... can you imagine laughter louder than that?   

I remember the cousin I sought out first at family gatherings. We had such a wonderful history together as boys and young adults. Tommy and Jane's family always came first; such a beautiful troupe all growing up in Madelia, Minnesota.  

I remember a Sioux Falls dinner party with Tommy and Jane. We had you over from Madelia to spend the weekend. Only after the lasagne dish broke in half and spilled onto the orange shag carpet, did we laugh so hard that our bellies ached and our eyes watered beyond belief ... what fun we had that weekend.

And, I remember that Tommy and Jane clearly loved one another ... and the boy and girls that sprung from that love. You have had a blessed life ... thank you for sharing it with Cousin Jimmy and The World. 

No comments:

Post a Comment